Sport: Men’s Soccer
Last Season: 7-11-3 overall, 4-4-1 Patriot League, PL Tournament Semifinals
Postseason: Quarterfinals: No. 5 Bucknell 1, No. 4 Boston University 1 (Bucknell adv. 4-1 in PKs); Semifinals: No. 1 American 2, No. 5 Bucknell 1 (2OT)
All-Northeast Region: Sebastiaan Blickman (3rd team), Zack Rockmore (3rd team)
All-Patriot League: Zack Rockmore (1st team), Sebastiaan Blickman (2nd team), Nick King (3rd team)
Patriot League All-Tournament Team: Sebastiaan Blickman, Ryan Ott
Academic All-Patriot League: Zack Rockmore (Scholar-Athlete of the Year), Sebastiaan Blickman
Scholar All-Region: Zack Rockmore (1st team), Sebastiaan Blickman (2nd team)
Games of Note:
* (Sept. 17) – Bucknell 1, Fairleigh Dickinson 0 – Ben Derleth’s strike in the 77th minute proved to be enough to help Bucknell defeat the Knights in the team’s home opener.
* (Oct. 1) – Bucknell 2, Holy Cross 1 – Senior Crispin Muessle scored the go-ahead goal in the 76th minute — his first career goal — to help the Bison pick up their first league win of the season and remain unbeaten against the Crusaders in the last eight meetings (5-0-3).
* (Oct. 8) – Colgate 4, Bucknell 3 (OT) – incredible game in Hamilton. Facing a 3-0 halftime deficit, the Bison battled back in the second half to force overtime thanks to three straight goals from Sebastiaan Blickman, turning in Bucknell’s first hat trick since Chris Hennings in 2008. Blickman earned Patriot League Midfielder of the Week honors for his performance, but unfortunately the Bison couldn’t steal a point as Colgate scored in overtime.
* (Oct. 11) Bucknell 7, Howard 0 – the Bison exploded for seven goals in a bounce-back win over Howard. Nick King eared Patriot League Rookie of the Week and Bison Athlete of the Week recognition for his performance, tallying four points on one goal and three assists. King became the first player since Tommy McCabe in 2010 to record three helpers in a contest.
* (Nov. 5) – Bucknell 2, Army West Point 1 – needing a win in the regular season finale to qualify for postseason play, the Bison used first-half goals from Blickman and Patrick Mahoney to clinch a Patriot League Tournament berth for the fifth consecutive season.
* (Nov. 8) – Bucknell 1, Boston U. 1 (Bucknell advances 4-1 in PKs) – following a critical stop from keeper Ryan Ott in penalty kicks, Rockmore knocked in the decisive penalty kick to help the Bison advance to the Patriot League Tournament semifinals, where they dropped an overtime heartbreak to American.
Looking Ahead to 2017: The Bison will look to fill voids left by midfielder-turned-striker Sebastiaan Blickman (team-high 11 goals) and defensive stalwart Zack Rockmore in 2017. Head coach Brendan Nash got a good look at his freshman class last season, as three rookies cracked his starting lineup, including Nick King, who finished second on the team in points (15) and was the squad’s top assist man (7) en route to earning Third Team All-Patriot League honors. Patrick Mahoney finished third on the team in points (8) a season ago while Quinn Bredin made 18 starts on the back line, giving Nash a young core to work with in year No. 23 at the helm. Bucknell returns other veterans such as Tyler Peterson, Dany Teran, Dan Bank, Jack Zollicoffer and Ben Derleth, as the Bison look to secure a postseason berth for a sixth straight year.
Season/Home Opener: Aug. 25 vs. St. Bonaventure (7 p.m.)