Sport: Field Hockey
Last Season: 9-9 overall, 3-3 Patriot League, PL Tournament Semifinals
Postseason: Semifinals: No. 1 Boston University 2, No. 4 Bucknell 1
All-Mideast Region: Anna Wills (2nd team)
All-Patriot League: Amy Mucelli (1st team), Anna Wills (1st team), Brittany Willwerth (2nd team)
Patriot League All-Tournament Team: Emily Finn, Anna Wills
Academic All-Patriot League: Nicole Rupnik, Anna Wills
Games of Note:
* (Aug. 26) – Bucknell 2, Rutgers 0 – Freshmen Brittany Willwerth and Marisa Morakis each scored in their collegiate debut to lift the Bison to a shutout win over the Scarlet Knights, who were receiving votes in the national poll at the time, in the season opener.
* (Sept. 11) – Bucknell 3, No. 12 Albany 2 (OT) – Willwerth scored twice, including the game-winner in overtime, and sophomore Nicole Rupnik scored the game-tying goal in regulation to lead the Bison to an upset win over the nationally-ranked Great Danes. It was Bucknell’s second win over a nationally-ranked opponent in the past three seasons.
* (Sept. 18) – Bucknell 3, Quinnipiac 2 (OT) – This time it was junior Stephanie Dressler with two goals, including the game-winner in overtime as the Bison went on the road for an overtime win over the Bobcats. Senior Estelle Palandjian helped send the game into overtime with a game-tying goal with 7:48 to play in regulation.
* (Oct. 2) – No. 4 Syracuse 4, Bucknell 3 – This one ended up in the loss column, but Bucknell showed why even the best teams are vulnerable when they come to Graham Field. The Bison led 2-1 at the half and came up just one goal short against the defending national champions. Rupnik scored twice in the loss.
* (Oct. 22) – Bucknell 3, Lafayette 0 – Facing a must-win situation if they wanted to make the postseason for a ninth consecutive season, the Bison rolled to a 3-0 win over the Leopards thanks to goals by Dressler, senior Anna Wills, and Rupnik.
* (Oct. 23) – Bucknell 1, Lock Haven 0 (2OT) – The Bison won on Senior Day thanks to a goal by sophomore Katie Mannino with 3:01 left in the second overtime. Junior Emily Finn recorded her fifth shutout of the season.
* (Oct. 29) – Bucknell 3, Colgate 0 – The Bison clinched a spot in the Patriot League Tournament with an easy 3-0 shutout win over the Raiders in Hamilton. Wills, Evans, and Rupnik all scored in the win.
Looking Ahead to 2017: The Bison lost a two-time First Team All-Patriot League selection (Anna Wills) from their backline and a two-time All-Patriot League honoree in the midfield (Amy Mucelli), but return a huge chunk of their offensive production. The team’s top three goal scorers – Rupnik (8), Dressler (5), and Willwerth (5) are all back. In all, the team returns players that scored 25 of the team’s 31 goals and 13 of the 24 assists. Head coach Jeremy Cook will attempt to guide the team to a 10th straight appearance in the Patriot League Tournament, which spans his entire head coaching career. As always, the Bison will play a challenging regular season schedule. They will square off against five teams – Monmouth, Syracuse, Penn State, Maryland, and Boston University – that appeared in the 2016 NCAA Tournament.
Season/Home Opener: Aug. 25 vs. Monmouth (4 p.m.)